Saturday, April 14, 2012

Our Man-Dog-Dolphin Alliance to Restore a Feeling of Playfulness and Harmony to the lives of Visually-Imparied Dogs and their Companions



I want you to meet my friend Chris and his loyal companion Moose the dog. I have seen Moose multiple times when I have visited Chris' house. He is a very warm and affectionate dog. He would be so happy to meet you so he could jump on you and give you a big, wet kiss. Chris and Moose have shared many special moments together. Unfortunately, life being what is is, threw Moose a curveball. Moose the dog went blind. Now Moose has a good attitude on life. He has not let this make him depressed. He just goes on living his life for the moment making the best of his situation. He is just happy to give and receive affection whenever he can. He likes eating too :-).

Chris accepts the current situation, but he wishes there was more he could do for his buddy Moose. The other day Chris was telling me stories about Moose. He said that Moose learns a map of their house in his head so he can learn to get around fairly well. The problem is every once in awhile Moose will get a little disoriented and he will run head-on into a wall at full speed. I've seen him do it. It looks painful. Also, if people move the furniture it causes a conflict with Moose's internal map. As a result he will sometimes run into chairs. When Chris told me Moose's story my heart and mind were moved. Recently I had heard a story about a blind man who had learned to in some sense "see" using echolocation like a dolphin. Then the thought struck me! Moose is smart!!! Why can't Moose learn to act like a dolphin? I got really excited by the idea and started doing some research so we could help Moose.


Man, Dolphin and Dog all can share a special friendship centred on playfullnes and joy. It really defies explanation. I think this video captures a great example of it.



Chris, Moose, and I have since decided to embark on a quest to help Moose embrace the "Spirit of the Dolphin." Our hope is that we learn from the dolphin so Moose can spread joy wherever he goes without having to worry about running into chairs and walls. We are going to keep a chronicle our adventures in the hope that the lessons we learn can be applied by lively, happy dogs around the globe. We are really excited by this new project. I hope you will stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment